Have a wardrobe full of old jumpers that simply don’t fit any more? Why not make a cat bed? Here’s how to transform an old knitted sweater into a favourite cat-nap palace for your feline.
1. Obtain all the materials you will need to make the bed: jumper, filling (wadding or foam pieces) scissors, safety pin, wool/cotton thread and darning needle
2. Securely stitch along the collar
3. Fold over the end of the sleeves and secure with a safety pin, then stuff the sleeves with your chosen filling
4. Tuck the right sleeve into the left sleeve and securely stitch
5. Fold the side of the jumper in on itself as per picture
6. Securely stitch along the bottom of the sleeves
7. Your bed is now complete so just add cat!
If your cat is one with a propensity to chew wool, then this jumper bed is probably not suitable for them. Also, as with all fabric beds, check it regularly for damage, to ensure there is no risk of entrapment.
This article was first published in the Winter 2014 issue of The Cat, Cat's Protection's official supporter magazine. Subscribe to The Cat at www.cats.org.uk/thecatmag