Makes 24 cupcakes – adapted from original recipe in Cupcakes by Susanna Tee.
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
For the topping
175g butter, softened
350g icing sugar
Yellow food colouring
48 chocolate cereal hoops for the ears
48 sugar coated chocolate beans (such as Smarties) for the eyes
24 jelly sweets for the noses
Strawberry laces for the mane, cut into 1cm length
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit/gas mark 4. Put 24 paper cupcake cases in a muffin tray and put aside.
2. Put the margarine, sugar, eggs and sifted flour in a large bowl and beat together with a whisk until smooth.
3. Spoon the mixture into the paper cupcake cases.
|Photo by Amelia Wells via flickr / Creative Commons|
5. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. Make a buttercream by putting the butter in a mixing bowl and beating until fluffy. Stir in the icing sugar and beat together until smooth. Add yellow food colouring until desired shade is achieved and mix well.
7. When the cupcakes have cooled, spread the buttercream on top of each one.
8. Decorate by adding strawberry laces around the edges of each cupcake to make the mane. Add two chocolate cereal hoops to each cupcake for the ears; two chocolate beans for the eyes and one jelly sweet for the nose.
Enjoy - but please note these cupcakes are for humans, not for cats!